My son Reuben entered our lives 629 days ago (at the time of writing this post) and it has been a learning curve of note!
Our daughter Anika, now almost 7 years old, is the text book well behaved, calm and sweet girl. So when we found out we’re expecting a boy, we were over the moon.
Without really thinking about it I expected a timeline something like this:
- He’ll be a cute, fun, laughing baby, making gurgling sounds and cuddling up with me on the couch
- When he reaches 2-ish he’ll start being inquisitive and fondly look at motorcycles
- At around 3-4 years old, he’ll start climbing up jungle-gyms at play areas and sit quietly observing me at the golf driving range
- This gradual, calm progression then continues until he marries
The reality though was a bit different. Not bad, just different.
- He was a very busy baby that did not sleep much for the first year
- He was born with a strong will that does not budge for anything or anyone
- He started climbing up things, dismantling things and causing absolute mayhem shortly after 1 year on this earth
- At this rate I can’t even imagine what he will be like in a year from now
In saying this, I’m beyond happy that he is a spirited boy with an unlimited energy supply and a natural charisma that is fascinating.
He absolutely loves the outdoors, much prefers fruit and vegetables over anything else and is absolutely intrigued by anything and everything.
I recently realized that for him to turn into a man with integrity and joy in his life is first prize but to experience the journey with him will most certainly be one of the biggest blessings for me.